Usually when I’m sick, like most people, have lots and lots of chicken noodle soup. Which I do have, but being sick for a few days, I didn’t want it everyday. So along with chicken noodle soup, I make a soup that I love so much because it is soooooo good!!! It’s a shrimp and bacon soup! I mean it has bacon in it, so you know it’s good!
- 8 oz. Bacon – cut into tiny pieces
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream (or half and half)
- 1 potato cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup green onion – chopped ( or scallions)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. medium or large shrimp,deveined and chopped
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown bacon until crisp. Transfer bacon onto a plate with a paper towel to absorb some fat. Reserve fat in the skillet. Don’t throw it away.
- Store some cooked bacon to the side to garnish with later as well as some green onion
- Poor some of the reserved bacon fat into a pot. Just enough as if you were pouring oil at the bottom so it doesn’t stick.
- In the pot add diced onions and cook until softened. About 6 minutes. Add flour and stir continuously with spoon until absorbed. About 1 minute.
- Stir in Chicken broth, heavy cream, potatoes, green onions,salt, black pepper and simmer on medium-low heat until potatoes are tender, 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp until pink. About 2 to 3 minutes
- garnish with bacon and green onion
This is how I cut the bacon by slicing it straight down in a line together , not one by one
This is how I cut the green onions
Shrimp,peeled and deveined
Transferring the bacon onto a paper towel
This is some of the bacon grease left over.
This is the onion and flour being poured in
Onion and flour mixture ( so you know what it looks like)
Then add the rest of your ingredients and follow the rest of the directions